Psalm 20, 21:1–7(8–14)
1 Thessalonians 4:13–18
Encourage each other with these words. 1 Thessalonians 4:13
These words from the appointed readings were not just for our ancestors but for us today. What came to mind immediately as I was meditating on the passages, were the words that we hear at this time of year, “Love came down from Heaven”.
Hope for me is believing that the Messiah has come into my world to show me how to Love. Invites me to receive that love into my heart, to see and feel how that love blesses and nourishes, and then encourages me to share that love with others - an invitation to have an open heart and to wholeness.
- What does it mean to me now, today, to welcome the Messiah?
- What distracts me from welcoming the Messiah?
- How will I be with the Lord forever, now and for eternity?
- What are my fears – what are the shadows within that cause me to doubt that love has come down from heaven and offers love and joy that love and justice might reign forever?
I am asked to hold firm and trust in the radical Love of the Messiah present in and around me right now. To encourage one another in that love, and the gift given is that we will be with the Lord forever – to stand firm in my faith and gain life to the fullest now and for eternity. I am called to be a witness to this Glory. How will I witness to God’s Glory through the birth anew each year of Jesus in my heart?
For all that has been, thanks be to God. For what is, thanks be to God. For what will be, thanks be to God!
– Sr. Dorothy Handigan, SSJD